The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) has started to pilot drop-off registration and title services at the Braintree Service Center, with additional locations to follow beginning Monday, August 10. These Registration Drop Off Centers will be dedicated to performing a number of vehicle-based registration and title services for both commercial and individual customer transactions on a drop-off only basis. Customers choosing this option will be able to drop-off appropriate paperwork for processing within a few business days.
“The RMV is excited to pilot and offer this new drop-off service to all of its customers for certain vehicle-based transactions,” said RMV Registrar Jamey Tesler. “Customers in need of one of these vehicle-based transactions can drop-off their paperwork and return to pick it up in just a few business days. This alternative service channel will help meet increased RMV service demands during a time when services are limited by appointment-only due to the need to enforce social-distancing to keep our customers and employees safe.”
Registration renewals will still be conducted exclusively online or by mail for individual customers. Customers will continue to be able to make appointments for certain vehicle-based registration and title services up to 14 days in advance.
How Does ‘Drop-Off’ Registration and Title Service Work?
• Customers in need of one of the services listed below should compile and complete all appropriate paperwork and any supporting documents. This includes contacting your insurance agent/company to obtain a completed Registration and Title Application (RTA). Customers must drop-off the required paperwork within 30 days of obtaining their RTA. Drop-offs with an incomplete or inaccurate RTA will not be processed.
• Customers will be able to visit any Registration Drop Off Center between the hours of 9:00AM and 4:00PM to drop-off their transaction paperwork. An RMV door advocate will review the customer’s paperwork to determine if it’s correctly completed and ask customers to fill out a coversheet with their name, email and phone number. Customers will not be allowed to wait and should expect a phone call or email from the Service Center within a few days when their transaction is completed.
• Transactions will be processed in the order received. Customers will receive a phone call or email when their transaction is completed and be instructed to pay for their transaction online.
• Customers will return to the Service Center to pick up their plates and/or registration.
Customers who are dropping-off or picking-up their paperwork will be served in the order of arrival and should anticipate a wait time for the intake and pick-up process, but will not have to wait for their transaction to be completed that same day.
How Long is the ‘Drop-Off’ Turnaround Time?
While the RMV asks for its customers’ patience during the initial days of this service offering, anticipated turnaround time for completion of drop-off transactions is within four business days. Drop-offs with an incomplete or inaccurate RTA (see above) will not be processed.
However, customers may expect additional wait times if their transaction paperwork is incomplete, inaccurate or requires additional review.
What If I Don’t Want to ‘Drop-Off’ My Transaction or Wait 4 Business Days?
Customers may alternatively continue to book an appointment-only reservation for these services. Appointments are available online up to 14 days in advance.
What Type of Transactions Can I ‘Drop-Off’ for Service?
The following types of transactions can be dropped off by both commercial and individual customers, including casual sales, campers, trailers and motorcycles. Registration renewals will still be conducted exclusively online or by mail for individual customers.
• Register and title a vehicle
• Transfer plate to a new vehicle
• Reinstate a registration
• Apply for a registration only
• Transfer a plate between two vehicles
• Register previously titled vehicle
• Transfer vehicle to surviving spouse
• Registration amendments
• Plate cancellations
Where is My Nearest Registration ‘Drop-Off’ Center and When Can I Visit?
Drop-off hours will be between 9 a.m.-4 p.m. The following locations will begin performing drop-off registration and title services on Monday, Aug. 10, while the Braintree Service Center will begin performing drop-off registration and title services on Monday, August 3:
• Boston / Haymarket Service Center
• Braintree Service Center (Monday, August 3)
•Chicopee Service Center
• Haverhill Service Center
• Milford Service Center
• Taunton Service Center
• Wilmington Service Center
Why is the RMV Offering Certain ‘Drop-Off’ Services?
The RMV is introducing this service channel alternative in light of the COVID-19 public health emergency to encourage ‘social-distancing’ in its Service Centers and prioritize other essential in-person needs by appointment-only. All RMV customers are encouraged to visit www.Mass.Gov/RMV to complete one of over 40 other transactions available online, by mail, or by phone.