Woman Found Incompetent to Stand Trial

The East Boston woman who was arrested for stabbing a Boston EMT and possibly trashing Sacred Heart Church last month was found to be incompetent to stand trial.

Suffolk County District Attorney Rachel Rollins’ office made the announcement last Friday that Julie Tejeda, 31, East Boston will instead be held without bail and admitted into a mental health treatment facility.

According to the D.A.’s office, Tejeda’s lawyer and the commonwealth both agreed with doctors that drafted the accused’s competency report.

Tejeda will be treated at the Worcester Recovery Center and Hospital.

Tejeda, 31, of Eastie appeared in Boston Municipal Court on single counts of assault with intent to murder and assault on a public employee and two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous chemical.

Assistant District Attorney Jessica Erickson told the court that the victim, an on-duty EMT, was rendering assistance to the defendant when the defendant allegedly stabbed the victim multiple times.  Prosecutors said that the defendant then used pepper spray on the stabbing victim and a second EMT who was driving the emergency vehicle that came to her aid. 

The stabbing victim was rushed to Massachusetts General Hospital, where she underwent emergency surgery. The second victim was also treated and ultimately released.

Boston Police located the defendant inside the ambulance in the area of 24 New Chardon St.

The Monday before the stabbing, the Boston Police Civil Rights Unit launched a probe after a woman smashed a window and defaced the doors  at Sacred Heart Church.

After Tejeda’s arrest, Boston Police sources said she was considered a suspect in the Sacred Heart vandalism.

Boston EMS released a statement Friday afternoon saying the EMTs involved in the attack are still recovering at home and have not yet returned to work.

“As a result of today’s hearing, we hope Ms. Tejeda will receive the treatment that she needs. It is assuring to know that for the time being Ms. Tejeda will not pose a public safety risk,” the statement read.

Tejeda is due back in court on March 4, 2020.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *