The Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport), Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito and American Airlines celebrated the unveiling of the new Terminal B Great Hall as part of the Terminal B Optimization project at Boston Logan International Airport. This project offers passengers more convenience, increased efficiency, both at the airline ticket counters and security, and overall better customer service.
“Massport has played a vital role in supporting the Baker-Polito Administration’s commitment to promoting economic development and expanding global business connections for the Commonwealth,” said Lt. Governor Polito. “This collaborative project between Massport and American Airlines provides customers with a more comfortable airport experience accompanied with local flavor and innovative technology.”
The Terminal B Optimization project connects all 37 gates post-security and consolidates three TSA security checkpoints on the former US Airways side into one modern checkpoint, including new Automated Screening Lanes (ASL), which improve efficiency and reduce wait times for passengers. Additionally, the project included the expansion and reorganization of ticketing counters and kiosks; gate modifications to better accommodate airline requirements; an improved baggage handling area; reconfigured concession locations and improved aesthetics, specialty seating and wayfinding.
The Great Hall also features:
• Better flow for passengers, from the ticket counter, through security and to their gate;
• Most notably, an entire wall of energy-efficient windows that let in more natural light and darken while in direct sunlight, making the area more comfortable for passengers and employees;
• New concessions and restaurants with local flavor, such as Lucca’s and Kelly’s Roast Beef;
• Exhibits that celebrate New England athletes, sports teams, and special moments in the region’s sports history;
• More comfortable seating options, including couches, lounge chairs, and work stations with device plug-in capabilities;
• A new KidPort decorated with characters from children’s books written by local authors;
• A new pet relief station.
Another essential change is that all American Airlines operations will now occur on one side of the Terminal. Since the merger between US Airways and American finalized in 2015, American has had operations on both sides of Terminal B. This consolidation optimizes the space in the passenger hold rooms, gate areas, and baggage claim areas. American serves more than six million passengers per year at Logan and is the airport’s third largest operator.
“We’re investing back into our business in partnership with Massport and Boston Logan,” said American’s Vice President of Government & Airport Michael Minerva. “These upgrades will provide a more modern, enjoyable travel experience for our customers and a better workplace for our 1,700 Boston-based team members.”
In total, the project included the construction of an additional 75,000 sq. ft. and the renovation of approximately 70,000 sq. ft. of existing space within Terminal B. The project is pursuing green building initiatives and LEED Certification.
“American has always been a great partner and we are grateful for their collaboration to improve the customer experience,” said Massport Aviation Director Ed Freni. “Safety and security is our top priority and having one security checkpoint makes the whole process more efficient. We appreciate passengers being patient throughout this process and we hope they enjoy the new exhibits and spaces we have to offer.”