Residents rush to the aid of family that was displaced by a fire on Bennington Street

By John Lynds

[email protected]

The neighborhood is rallying around the victims of a fire that broke out in a one-family home on Bennington Street Saturday morning.

The Herrera Family and their four small children were displaced by the one alarm blaze that started in the basement of 510 Bennington St.

The family is said to have lost a substantial amount of clothes and Christmas presents due to the fire that caused approximately $125,000 worth of damage.

Father Wayne Belschner said the Sacred Heart Church, where the children attend CCD classes, will take donation Saturday at the church to help the family till Christmas and beyond.

“The family lost a significant amount due to water and smoke damage,” said Fr. Belschner. “We are accepting donations and gift cards to help get the family the essentials and back on their feet.”

Mayor Thomas Menino also got in on the action to help the family by donating toys and diapers to the family.

Representative Carlo Basile, who knows the family on a personal level, said he went to the house all day during the course of the fire to help and is working with Sacred Heart on the relief efforts.

Boston Fire Department spokesperson said the Firefighters Fund and American Red Cross were also looking to lend a hand.

The fire began at 7:30 a.m. in a dryer located in the basement of the home. While the fire was put down rather quickly, the damage from smoke and water had already been done.

One firefighter was treated and released for a minor injury as well as one occupant of the home who was treated for a burn.

The Herreras are staying with family members.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *